Doula Questions and Answers
Having a doula can greatly affect your birth experience. Who you choose is just as important as choosing to have a doula. All doulas are unique in their education, credentials, experience, and personality. Take your time, interview as many doulas as you think you need. Finding a doula that fits your needs is important to the outcome of your relationship together.
Birth Doula Questions
- What is your training?
- Are you Certified? If so, through which organization? What were the requirements for certificiation?
- How many years of experience do you have? How many births in those years?
- Have you worked with my specific primary care provider before? What was the experience like for you?
- How would you work with and involve my partner?
- What is your birth philosophy? How does that transfer into my birth experience?
- Do you have children? What were your birth experiences? How does that transfer into my birth experience?
- Are you certified in any additional modalities? If so, what?
- Why did you become a doula?
- Do you have any other mother's due around the same time? If so, do you have a back up?
- May I talk to some of your previous clients? Do you have a testimonial page?
- Would you explain your Doula Package? What is included? How often do we meet before Birth? What is your refund policy?
- How do you handle conflict in the delivery room?
Postpartum Doula Questions
- What additional Postpartum Doula training have you had?
- Are you a certified postpartum doula? If so, through which organization? What are the additional requirements for certification?
- How many years of experience do you have as a postpartum doula? How many postpartum clients have you had in those years?
- What services do you provide? What do you not provide?
- Do you have other postpartum clients at the same time? If so, do you have a back up?
- Do you have birth clients do at the same time? If so, do you have a back up?
- Do you charge travel fees?
- What is included in your fees? Do you have a minimum hourly rate?
- Are you available nights? is this an additional fee?
- May I talk to some of your previous postpartum clients? Do you have a testimonial page?
- How would a postpartum doula help my partner?
- How would you handle conflict in the family?
- Are you certified in infant CPR?
- Do you have a valid drivers license?
- Have you had a police/background check? Would it be alright if we did one?
- What is your philosophy on breastfeeding? How does this transfer into my postpartum care?
- What is your experience with postpartum depression?
Questions to Ask Yourself
After the interview, try to imagine the doula at the birth with you and see if you feel good about it.
- Do you feel comfortable around this person?
- Did she seem knowledgable?
- Did she communicate well?
- Did she listen well? Was she respectful of your beliefs and wishes?
- Will she support your choices, or push her own agenda?